Post doc position in SVAT-modelling at Unit Biosphere Impact Studies of SCK-CEN.
The Biosphere Impact Studies research group is looking for a PhD to work in developing a groundwater-to-plants pollutant model as part of a system to assess the impact of climatic events on the cycling of pollutants in forest ecosystems. This post-doc experience is a purely research appointment. This position has good terms and conditions and it is a prestigious project that will likely lead to good publications and future research prospects. And the person will be working in a pleasant research group.
Job title: Temporary scientific collaborator (m/f)
- Institute: Environment, Health and Safety
- Expert group: Biosphere Impact Studies
As Forest Ecosystem Modeller you:
• collaborate on the modelling of radionuclide transport at the geosphere-biosphere interface;
• develop a radionuclide cycling module for soil-vegetation ecosystems including the processes that control water, carbon and nutrient fluxes in the rhizosphere;
• help couple this module with a forest model as part of a decision support tool to manage climate change risks to forest ecosystems;
• help formulate new project proposals for external funding based on the modeling skills developed in this area;
• write scientific publications.
• PhD in bioengineering, soil sciences, hydrogeology or environmental physics;
• relevant research experience in geochemical and/or ecological modelling;
• working knowledge of computer programming (e.g. FORTRAN, or C++) and modeling codes (e.g. Ecolego, GoldSim or ModelMaker);
• familiarity with some of the following codes: PHREEQC, WHAM 6, Geochemist’s WorkBench (GWB), HYDRUS-1D, HP1 is an advantage;
• strong analytical and synthetic thought;
• ability to work in a team and independently;
• good communication skills, ability to report clearly, both orally and in writing;
• fluency in English, some knowledge of Dutch or French or willingness to attend Dutch or French language classes.
Duration: 2 years
Send your application letter and detailed curriculum vitae with reference NN 2012-020 to:
SCK•CEN Boeretang 200 - 2400 MOL
SCK-CEN website: http://www.sckcen.be/jobs